Monday, July 26, 2010

The Dreaded Day

I'm one of those that dreads getting older - don't get me wrong it's better than the only other possibility but I hate getting older. I am officially one year away from 30 today and it scares me to death. I need to find a fountain of youth somewhere so I can stay right where I'm at forever!!

Aging has always scared me - I am a worrywart! I worry about any and everything that I can find to worry about. Will it do me any good to worry? No but I can't help myself. I'm actually much better than I used to be and that's scary because I'm still pretty bad!

But as for getting older I worry about the things that inevitably usually come with aging. I worry about saggy skin - I worry about wrinkles - I worry about heart problems that it seems like most of America deals with now as they age - I worry about cancer - I worry about being feeble and dying. I am probably worrying myself into an early grave as I type.

So I'm going to try to go through this day and not think about next year - because it's not 29 that upsets me it's 30 and 40 and 50 and 60 and so on.

We celebrated my birthday with my mom last week because she's out of town right now - We haven't been to the beach in a couple of years now - in fact we haven't been since Allie has been born. Things have been so busy and we haven't had the time or the money to go for a long period of time. This year I decided I wanted to get Allie on the beach so badly that we had to find a way. Well worry not because mom took care of it :) She did a combo birthday gift for David and I and purchased our hotel for a long weekend away at the beach. Can't wait and neither can my camera!!!!!!!!!

Saturday we got together with my dad and mom and had a tasty dinner and then one of my favorite cakes ever - Brown Front Cake! If you haven't had it then you must try it!!!! I also got these beautiful beautiful perfect bowls that my Daddy made. I am so lucky to get to benefit from his talents!!!! I'm loving all the stuff in my kitchen he has made for me. Just check them out - they are gorgeous!!!!!! Now I just have to decide what to spend my birthday money on :)

This rustic looking side is one of my FAVORITE things about these bowls. Where the knots were and how it shows through. I got a peppermill right when he started making things and it had a few knots in the wood - he filled them in and I was thinking how cool it would have been to have them left like they were. Then with my salt grinder he left them as they were and I was inlove!!!! Love how he left them on these bowls - seriously my kids wanted to eat cereal out of them and I said - HaHa um......NO!




Photobucket

Photobucket

9 comments:

He & Me + 3 said...

Happy Birthday to you. I am officially 10 years older than you. Don't be afraid to age. Embrace it.
Love the bowls. Just beautiful. Your dad is very talented.

Kelli W said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you have a great day...and try not to worry so much:) I am a big worrier too sometimes! The trip to the beach sounds like so much fun. Your mom gave you a great bday gift!

Mandy H. said...

I love those bowls!!!!!

Vicky said...

Happy Birthday :) You will come to treasure those bowls even more over the years. And I think you will value your "years" more too.

I love being in my forties... I wouldn't go back to the worries and concerns I had in my younger years... I truly feel I have come into my own these past few years and its such a blessing... everything changes and life feels richer and fuller the older I get. Hoping you begin to feel the smallest shift in your heart in preparation for all the good that is to come as you grow older :)

Cassie said...

Happy Birthday! I've never heard of that kind of cake before...

More Than Words said...

Wow, I love the bowls!!!!

After 30, I stopped thinking of my birthday!! LOL.

If it makes you feel any better, I'll be 41 on Monday!

Tara Steffen Fotos said...

Great bowls! Love them~!
I don't especially like to have birthdays anymore either, especialy when someone takes my picture and reminds me of how much I'm aging! I'm 38 and I feel great except for being a little out of shape. Take good care of yourself and you will age greacefully!

Martie said...

Happy birthday, Stephanie! LOVE the bowls. What an awesome talent!

I am a worrier too. But I have a decade on you! It's more about realities than anything now.... and I must say, my fears beat out the realities so far. Smile and have fun... and take lots of those amazing photos. Someday it will be all about those memories and you are capturing beautiful ones all the time.

The cake sounds intriguing...

Martie

McCrakensx4 said...

Happy {belated} Birthday to you! I hope you enjoyed your day...and you're a baby! lol I am much older than you! Bowls are beautiful.