Thursday, July 29, 2010

Caleb


I'm so stressed and scared and tired and worried - there I think that about does it. I took Caleb to the doctor early last week because he was complaining about his throat. It wasn't our regular doctor because we couldn't get in for four hours there and he wouldn't stop crying. We went to this urgent care place that is new in town and supposed to be excellent. It was actually the same place that I took Jacob when his ear was so swollen and I wasn't that impressed with the staff - should've known and just waited!

So we walk in and he didn't want to go to the doctor to start off with but it was totally new and he had never even stepped foot in there before. They immediately wanted him to step on the scale which he didn't want to do - I finally just told them how much he weighed and we went to the room. Then they wanted to do a temp but they wanted him to put it in his mouth. He's 3 years old and he's NEVER had a thermometer put in his mouth. At our doctors office they have a temporal thermometer so it's always on their head unless their infants. After him getting scared and upset I finally told her he wasn't going to put it in his mouth - so I held it under his arm - and when I say held I mean I literally had to restrain his body and physically hold his arm down. Then they wanted to do a strep swab which I knew wasn't going to happen the way they were going about it. At one point they have 3 nurses in there and me holding him down and they still couldn't get past his teeth. It was one of the most horrible experiences I've ever been a part of. The doctor finally came in and looked at his throat and said it was very swollen and looked like there was a lot of puss there and he wanted to treat it as strep. Well antibiotics aren't that easy in our family as you all know because of the reactions Caleb and Jacob have both had. He said and I quote " I can get every staff member I have in here to hold him down and we still might not get a good swab" Then we decided to treat and left.

He took all of his medicine and was visibly feeling better - he has been running and playing and not complaining that he feels bad at all however He Will Not Eat! It's horrible but he won't eat. His last meal was last Saturday night at my dad's house. I can literally remember each thing he's had since then it's been so minimal. Three days ago he ate 3 yogurt cups and get this he will drink - as much as I'll give him he will drink but only orange juice. Then he had half a yogurt cup and a popsicle. Yesterday he had a container of applesauce and a couple of bites of pudding. My mom was able to get him to drink a little of a nutrition drink last night. I took him back to our doctor and they are saying it's all psychological. He looks good - his throat is all better and his ears are fine. However he is terrified for some reason - and when I say terrified that's putting it lightly. Anything that he has to actually chew he just can't do it. If you're lucky enough to get it in his mouth then he's going to freak as soon as it gets in there and spit it out. I think that doctors office without a doubt traumatized him! It scares me to death because he's not eating enough right now nor is he getting the nutrition he needs. I'm trying to get anything I possibly can into his already tiny and skinny little body. His doctor says to give it time and he will start eating but I can't help asking myself what if he doesn't. What then? Oh it just scares me to death! We're leaving this morning for the mountains and I'm hoping that maybe he'll eat while we're gone - my dad and mom are going so maybe with the different people and settings he will decide it's a good time. If you don't mind would you please say a prayer for him. I just pray that his body and mind will heal and he'll be able to get past the fear in his little head..



Photobucket

Photobucket

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh girl, I will be praying for him!!!

McCrakensx4 said...

Oh Steph...that is so awful. what a horrible experience for you and him to have to go through. I hope that he is 'feeling' better soon and eats too. I don't think I would be going back to that urgent care anytime soon...just sayin'

Erin said...

I sure hope he is doing better!!! Fill me in lady!